Okay, so, this is a little boy who cried wolf, but hear me out: I know I’ve said that some pins have made me die of disgust/shame/shock, but some pins are literally deadly.
And by deadly, I mean they can severely injure/maim you.
My question for Anna: What’s the proper treatment for a chemical burn?
No, this is not just some conspiracy to lower the number of those annoyingly crafty DIY-ers; some bloggers genuinely seem to think that mixing vinegar and bleach is a FANTASTIC idea. It’s one that has been repinned countless times.
What’s more important than your health? A sparkling clean washing machine, obviously.
So, for those who skipped science class in high school in favour of home economics, two simple equations:
Bleach + Vinegar = Chlorine Gas
Chlorine Gas + You = Chemical burns, potential death
Yes, the danger of mixing is still there even if you do a bleach rinse then a vinegar rinse of, say, a dishwasher or washing machine.
More from the sound medical source About.com:
- “Bleach combines with acids (e.g., vinegar, lemon juice) or certain bases (e.g., ammonia, drain cleaner, urine in the catbox) to release chlorine and chloramine vapors… You can get a nasty chemical burn, especially of your eyes and lungs.”
TL;DR version: Accidentally huffing chlorine gas is not a suitable price to pay for this ugly ass t-shirt.
In case you’re reading this on your iPhone over a dishwasher in which you’ve just mixed vinegar and bleach (?), here’s what to do when you encounter the resulting chlorine gas:
“In case of skin contact: Chlorine hydrolyzes very rapidly yielding hydrochloric acid so that skin burns are like that from exposure to HCl. Flush affected area with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention immediately.
In case of eye contact: Chlorine is corrosive and irritating to the eyes. Flush contaminated eye(s) immediately with copious quantities of water for a minimum of 15 minutes. Seek medical attention immediately.
In case of inhalation: Chlorine inhalation may cause coughing, nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness and difficulty breathing. It may also cause pulmonary edema (build-up of fluid in the lungs) which may be delayed by several hours and can be fatal.“
Luckily, some pinners have caught on, and warnings have been posted around Pinterest.
Help out! Comment on pins that advise mixing vinegar and bleach, and remember: just because you made it yourself, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Any craft that involves mod podge proves that point, but at least they don’t cause chemical burns. Unless, of course, Pintester (highly recommend) is the one doing the crafting.